Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Review: Defy

Lately I’ve been really into fantasy books. I’m not sure if its the winter season or just me at the moment, but I’ve found myself to be reading a lot more fantasy than what I usually read, which is dystopian. Here is a really quick review with not a lot of details on Defy.

<Defy : By Sara B. Larson>
I believe Defy is Sara B. Larson debut book, which came out January, 7 2014. The second book just came out on December 30 of last year, but I’m going to wait until it comes out in paperback to get it because my Defy is in paperback and I hate having one of my book of a series in paper back and the other one in hardcover. Not only that, I liked the book but I didn’t love it so I’m not in a hurry to read it.

First of all, let me just say… what is with the Breeding house? Most disturbing part in the book for me.

<breeding house>
"The echoes of screams, the desperate sobbing behind closed doors. The heat and fear that coated the air like smoke. The empty eyes of the girls. The swollen mounds of their bellies.”

I seriously did thought about just not reading the book after the Breeding House scene, but Marcel kept me reading. (sniff for Marcel) At times, I wonder is the Breeding House really necessarily for the story, when the only time we see or hear about the breeding house is near the beginning. But again, the world in Defy is very messed up and corrupted so I guess they would need something disgusting to show just to much ruined it is in. Quite dark!

Other then that I did enjoy the book, it did kept me turning the pages and wanting to know what happens next. Just be aware that there is a love triangle and I’m not much of a fan of the triangle. That was one thing that did annoyed me about the book and since there’s a triangle, there has to have a ‘Team’, therefore I’m going to go with ‘Team Rylan’ because he truly cared about her and after all that she went through, I don't think i can ever trust Prince Damien. I might have trust issue then, huh…
I did find it weird and awkward how Damien and The main girl kept flirting with each other when all three of them are sleeping next to each other in the same room. I was very uncomfortable for Rylan for some reason.

Many characters died in here and I hate having characters get killed off, but that’s what Author’s like to do and a good book always have to kill characters off.

Defy did kind of remind me of, Throne of Glass. Strong female lead who can fight most men in the book and has the Prince and Captain of the Guard chasing after her. Also, both are fantasy and the crazy thing is I’m also Team Captain of the Guard in the Throne of Glass. I love my captains.

Over all, I give this book a 3 because like I said I did enjoy this book but it isn’t one of my favorite books.



Avoir!


-maymay

No comments:

Post a Comment