Friday, February 20, 2015

Current Read - Red Queen

I’ve been in a reading slump since the end of last month and much of this month. This week I finally picked up the highly anticipated book, Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and started reading it right away. I’ve scanned the synopsis and thought that it sounds promising and yes this was one of my most anticipated book of 2015. Red Queen came out on the 10th of February and I’ve been seeing Red Queen being compared with Red Rising, by Pierce Brown. I haven’t read Red Rising but they do sound similar in a way just from the synopsis, but I can’t say much about it because like I said, I haven’t read Red Rising.

Read the synopsis for Red Queen and Red Rising from Goodreads and see what you think.

I’m about 80% in (that’s what goodread says) and I know a lot of readers are really loving this book, but I just can’t seem to bring myself to love it. Not much is happening and to be honest I’m just not in the mood to read about the protagonist having to go through some sort of training to become better or someone they’re not. I thought it was kind of slow and it is not something I haven’t read before.

*Please don’t attack me*

I felt like I was forcing myself into reading this book. Actually I was forcing myself because I thought that maybe if I continue on it might get better, but it just didn’t seem like it was. I wanted to just stop half way through but there was so much hype about the book and I thought with so much hype there has to have something about it. *sigh* I’m still debating it I want to continue with it, most likely I will because I’m a little over 80% through.

While reading through this book I felt like I was reading a mash up of multiple books and I was just waiting for certain things to happen because though I don’t know how its going to happening I knew what was going to happen.

The Hunger Games, Katniss
Katniss was the symbol of hope, “the girl on fire,” Katniss equal revolution.
The King and Queen wanted to used Mare as a symbol to settle the "revolution," nicknamed “little lighting girl” and I felt like Victoria wanted Mare’s nickname to stick but it just wasn’t working for me. Or was it just me...

The Selection
The whole prince (Cal) thing having to chose his bride from a whole bunch of girls who are trying to impress him and the cameras capturing Mare’s every move (though its not for a reality show and just for security reasons). Going through protocol on how to be a proper princess and all this etiquette.

The Throne of Glass & The Young Elite
Just the training itself and the others disliking Mare for being the newcomer. Learning about her new ability and how to control it.

I don’t want to compare the book to others but I seriously felt like I just reading a mash up. I’m not going to rate this book or give my whole thought because I haven’t finished it yet. Hopefully I finish it so I can come back with a better review.

Avoir!

-maymay

No comments:

Post a Comment